Saturday, October 9, 2010

8213: Gacy House (2010)


Best bad quote: " Clown, you are not alive. Loki, make mischief here tonight!"

For those of you who don't know, or for those of you who haven't seen the movie yet, John Wayne Gacy is an infamous serial killer who had a taste for young men and boys. He killed 33 people and kept 26 of the bodies under his house and in his backyard.  In 8213 Gacy House, a bunch of idiots hoping to catch some paranormal activity on camera go to the new house that has been built on the Gacy property. Of course, they all die. This is stated at the beginning of the movie, as is typical of these Blair Witch Project type movies. That's okay, if unnecessary.  As soon as we know that they aren't content with just catching some of the ghosts of Gacy's murder victims on film, that they want Gacy himself to show them what he's got, we know they'll all be dead by morning.

The majority of the group is from "the institute," and has been  trying to capture "verifiable" paranormal activity at serial killer sites. They bring along a psychic who is only useful in conjuring up Gacy and having huge breast implants. The psychic asks for protection from a bunch of moon goddesses, and then offers Gacy's spirit the white, pure t-shirt of her neighbor's fifteen year old son in order to coax Gacy back from the afterlife. It's the moments like this conjuring scene that make the movie even remotely watchable. If not for these scenes that make you laugh out loud at their ridiculousness, then you might as well be watching the wall. Or, at least a better found footage film, like Paranormal Activity. 

You've got a lot of minutes of virtually nothing to slog through to get to the funniest moments at the end, however. The director does a fairly decent job at setting up potential jump scares and then not delivering the scare, which set me on edge a bit. The fact that I was watching this late at night in a dark room probably enhanced my unease. However, my unease was muted by the fact that I didn't care about the idiots on screen. I knew they were going to die, and they hadn't done anything to show me that I should care that they died. 

They conjure Gacy, then taunt him. To their taunts he responds "Kiss my ass," his supposed last words before his death. And, "Kiss my ass" is what I'm thinking too. They might not deserve what happens to them, but they sure asked for it. So, let the killing commence. The last twenty minutes,  when Gacy starts slaughtering people, is the best. At first he's busting heads out of sight and behind closed doors, but then he starts throwing people around. He rips off Fake Tits' shirt so she can show us exactly why she was  hired. Gacy also jerks off the young cameraman's pants and drags him away to the basement for some ghost rape. At one point, Gacy shows up dressed as his Pogo the Clown alter ego. 

These scenes are fairly hilarious, but it's a chore to make it through to see them. The scenes with the psychic are pretty funny, but they are sparse. This movie just doesn't have much going for it. It's boring and pointless and not campy enough. It's another lackluster release from The Asylum.  

Rating: 1 1/2 Undressed Ghost Gacy's out of 5
 

5 comments:

  1. nice review, and nice blog! i found this one to be a bit unnerving, on several levels, but bottom line i too watched it in a dark room and it scared the crap out of me, so, mission accomplished, Asylum.

    ______________________________________
    COMMITTED - an asylum blog
    http://observationnotes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, they made another Paranormal Activity rip-off movie?? What, Paranormal Entity wasn't crappy enough for them, they had to do it all again?

    Yeesh.

    --The Rev.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, "Paranormal Activity 2" is coming out. (Has come out?) If you liked "Paranormal Activity" (which I kind of did) then you should like "Paranormal Entity." They're the exact same movie, except "Entity" is a lot funnier. But, "Gacy House" just sort of sucked. I'm tired of fake documentaries, too. After the crap-fest that "The Fourth Kind" was... ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had PE on my DVR but it (among other things) got kicked out to make room for TCM's Hammer Fridays. It's an Asylum mockbuster, so I assume it sucks and sucks hard. I'm sure they'll replay it at some point and I'll finally catch it.

    I did enjoy PA. I'm not one who gets motion sickness easily, but parts of that movie had me naseous; still, good stuff. We'll see about the sequel.

    --The Rev.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought this movie would never end..I was ready to kill all of them myself by the time Ghost Boy Gacy gets around to it...Don't waste your time renting this...If you were duped into buying it, use the disc for target practice..

    ReplyDelete